Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering grad student. This question is regarding an
active research project in our lab. We wrote a FEA program in C++ for 3D solid
mechanics problems. At each time step, we output a vtu file using the
unstructured grid format. Finally, we output a pvd file that creates a
collection and associates a time step value with each vtu file. So far, we have
been working with a single body, comprised of multiple hexahedral elements. Our
point data consists of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Our cell data
consists of centroid stress and centroid strain.

We now want to start solving multi-body models. Do we have to write a separate
vtu file for each body, at each time step? Is there a way to combine multiple
bodies into a single vtu file, at each time step, in a way that we can still
view them as separate parts in ParaView? I would like be able to use show/hide
and color on a part basis. How do people usually handle this sort of thing? For
example, if I have 10 parts, will I have 10 separate vtu files at each time
step? Note that, within the FEA code, we define a part_id for each element in
the model. Is there a way I can associate each element with a part_id in the
vtu file? That way ParaView could tell the difference between each part?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Jesse