Pasta "Fazool"

Italian comfort food at its best, this is an easy dinner to make with the
kids. My children call this "fazool," my family's southern Italian dialect
for fagiole (beans). For nutrition and color, we've added spinach to our
simple family recipe.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can premium diced, peeled tomatoes, undrained
1 (48-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
1 cup ditalini or alphabet pasta
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
4 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed (about 1 10-ounce bag)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan; add garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatoes,
chicken broth, pasta and beans and stir. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes,
stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to bottom of pan. Add
spinach and continue cooking, covered, until leaves are tender, about 5
minutes.
2. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. (Pasta tends to absorb liquid
as soup sits. Add more liquid as needed. If making ahead, separate liquid
from other ingredients and combine when ready to serve.) Serves 6 to 8.

Nutritional Information
Per serving: 254 calories, 7g fat, 15g prot., 33g carbs., 5g fiber, 707mg
sodium.

By Joan Cirillo, "Cooking with Kids"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional