More news at www.City_Press.co.za

Read the story online:
http://jv.news24.com/City_Press/Columnists/0,,186-1695_2470161,00.html

Sent by: ashley
Message:For those who are obsessed with elections,and for those who are not caught in between!!Here are points to consider!!

Pointless to climb into the ANC vs COPE ring

Feb 14 2009 05:19:34:893PM

I'm going to give some free advice which is likely to be rejected with contempt. But my conscience is clear.

Andile Mngxitama

I’M going to give some free advice which is likely to be rejected with contempt. But my conscience is clear.

My advice to the Pan Africanist Congress (Mphahlele and Ka Plaatjie factions) and all the factions of the Black Consciousness Mgoing to give some free advice which is likely to be rejected with contempt. But my conscience is clear.

ovement (Azapo, Sopa and the Black Consciousness Party), is that they should forthwith withdraw from the coming elections.

These parties from the liberation struggle stand to gain nothing by contesting the elections.

Salvation for these parties lies in working together with the people to agitate for real change and accountability outside of parliamentary pomposity.

But this requires patience, self-sacrifice and commitment. However, the delights of parliamentary seats are too seductive, aren’t they?

My advice is based on three reasons. Firstly, a withdrawal from the election would save these parties what little money they have, since we know that collectively they couldn’t manage even 3% of the vote. While the ANC and COPE are loaded.

Secondly, it’s not clear to me what these parties can bring to the apolitical electoral process. The coming elections are not about issues at all, but about Polokwane and the battle of loyalties and to control of the state machinery to continue what we have witnessed in the past 15 years.

It’s going to be a spectacle between the ANC and COPE, in which the ANC will emerge as the winner.

The third reason is the most important. The general trend in post-colonial Africa is that parties of “liberation” have an average reign of 20 years before they can be dislodged from power.

Think of Kenneth Kaunda in Zambia and Robert Mugabe’s Zanu-PF. In a sense you need to wait for a new generation to emerge. Staying 20 years with a party that promises much, and delivers little is just too bad.

The trouble is, however, that those who take over from the “liberators” have inherently not done much better. In fact, in some cases, they have reversed the modest gains of post-independence.

Contrary to what the analysts are telling us, the emergence of COPE has ironically angered those who haven’t benefited from democracy.

This, coupled with what is seen as the unfair persecution of Jacob Zuma, has mobilised the poor who have come out in great numbers to register to vote.

The massive voter registration speaks volumes about what I would like to call a protest vote for the ANC against COPE.

But this protest ushers in great trouble for both Zuma and the ANC. However, the party leaders seem oblivious of the coming peril.

Steve Biko’s friend and fellow stalwart, the late Strini Moodley, predicted an “implosion which would give birth to a new revolution”.

The violent xenophobic attacks last year gave us a glimpse of what we can expect when the excluded decide enough is enough.

Zuma’s current popularity with the poor is based on an unspoken contract. Unlike Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki, his room to manoeuvre is way too small. He must deliver or else.

What will President Zuma do when faced on one side by the highly expectant, mobilised, militant and impoverished masses who voted for him, and on the other side a system which is essentially anti people? Will he open fire or will he break away from the system and join the masses?

But honestly, can the parties which swear by the sacred names of Sobukwe and Biko step up to the challenge? I remain sceptical.

  • Mngxitama is co-editor of Biko Lives! Contesting the Legacies of Steve Biko

    Groups "Pan Africanist Youth Congress of Azania" group.