Comrades

For me, Jan Shoba represents the quality of commitment to national duty that is
common among members of Apla leadership in the eighties.  They were determined
to implement the home going programme for Apla forces, and to re-introduce the
PAC as a dynamic entity of the national liberation struggle, under very
difficult circumstances.  We all know the resultant temporary lull and
after-effect of the then ongoing leadership strife in exile.  The PAC was
declared dead by its enemies and doomsayers. These valiant cadres worked hard
to establish bases in the neighbouring countries and started infiltration
programmes for guerrillas.  It was difficult for trained cadres to move about
in the frontline states, and SA securocrats had a strong counter-insurgency
establishment in these areas.

There was one Chris who represented the PAC in Gaborone, Botswana.  Almost all
internal underground information was filtered through his office for the Dar es
Salaam head quarters.  He joined the enemy, after it was said that he was wooed
by his childhood girlfriend sent by NIS secret service handlers.  His father
was in the SA police. I had worked with him and had no slightest thought that
he would abdicate the struggle. He created a massive setback for us at the
time.  There are many similar incidents.  Jan Shoba and his group worked to
counter-act such circumstances, with scarce resources, and managed to
infiltrate SA to operate. However, they were later arrested.  His co-accused
are now in the SANDF (Mlandeli Ketye and Fikile July) and Mike 'Blanco' who I
am told is now based in Pretoria.  They were arrested and jailed on Robben
Island around 1984.  I met them there when a similar fate happen to the
carefully made network of external/internal PAC and Apla programme a couple of
years later.

Jan Shoba was a member of the High Command.  On Robben Island the PAC collapsed
the army structures and operated politically, and socially.  He served in the
leadership structures and was a deeply committed and efficient operator of the
PAC activities.  He coordinated the news analysis project and went on to get
permission from the prison authorities to subscribe for the Zimbabwe Herald.
We were well informed about current affairs - much to the contributions of
Shoba.  They were released (in 1990 possibly) when De Klerk implemented one of
the conditions of the Harare Declaration.  Jan Shoba was responsible for Party
security after the unbanning.  He was assassinated outside his yard in
Atteridgeville - his killers are still at large. There are theories about the
identity of his assassins, but that is conjecture and a story for another day.
My view is that he dedicated and sacrificed his own life to the cause of the
African Revolution, and to serving the PAC with his whole heart.

Izwe lethu iAfrika

Jaki