Cde Mduduzi Sibeko

The point I was aiming to put across is that in leadership and management
skills there's a requirement for objective approach, and for the individual to
understand that the opposite side will always work on your weaknesses and spot
character traits they can use against you and your organisation.  If you are
open to attack, you will unwittingly become a liability to your team and be
used as a weak under belly of the politics and programmes you represent.  With
tools and techniques such as emotional intellegence, we are empowered to
overcome weaknesses personally and to learn from the errors we've made in the
past.
  I'd argue that the main thrust of the PAC Basic Documents is about
leadership.  It describes the form and content of that revolutionary
leadership, and places it at the centre of the activities of the African
people.  It also attacks and exposes the wrongs-doings of a prevailing
leadership, who conform to the authority of white domination while pretending,
through clever talk, to be representing the people.   The concrete ideas
expressed by Sobukwe and others (Mda, Raboroko, Pokela, etc.) have found
resonance with the aspirations of the Azanian masses.  The PAC Code of Conduct
offers a disciplined approach to serving the people, and offers the PAC
membership a revolutionary imperative in conducting its affairs.  That is why
members of the PAC, from all walks of life, will question their representatives
and put leaders under scrutiny.  The quality standards of leadership and
democratic centralism in the PAC are high - comparably speaking.  In other
organisations you must trust and obey, period.  I would agree with Cde Ray
Mkethi, as he spoke at the 50th Anniversary of APLA in Pretoria last Sunday,
that the leadership crisis in the PAC is actually a blessing in disguise and we
must sum up our experiences over the years as a tool to utilise as we go back
to the basics.  I'd say that every member takes leadership responsibility in
their communities in every sphere, and they have their destiny in their hands.
  Mangaliso Sobukwe is always pleasant-looking and sure of himself in tone and
meaning.  There is no shrill and out of control emotions, and his writings do
not even have an exclamation mark.  He maintains his dignity throughout - like
a man on a mission.  I believe we should learn from him.  In the Gail Gerhardt
interviews he laughs at the excesses and cranky ideas of his comrades like
Josias Madzunya, PK Leballo and Lennox Mlonzi.  He was put in a spot when Benjy
Pogrund secretly arranged the Greatermans encounter with Mangosuthu Buthulezi,
but in the pictures taken he seems uncomfortable without exploding emotionally.
 It takes a measure of a man/woman to control their emotions.
  I used my own experiences to demonstrate how opponents would take you off
track, using your weak emotional control.  Paris Mashile tried to hold his
emotions in the meeting and did not disclose openly what has happened. He knew
and understood what the aim was.  I'm not sure if I'd have handled it the same
way.  Ramaphosa with his union negotiation experience and his legal background,
tried to set me down in an inferior position for wearing the same tie as my
opponents.  These are devices of deception.  I have observed many such tricks,
raw as they are.  You also allude to some that you have come across.  I have
done countless blunders where I lost my temper, even though I'd say I have a
long fuse.
  We used to say - in my fraterny of creative writers - that Uncle Zeke
Mphahlele was mellowed, not mature.  He insisted in his workshop presentations
that intellectuals must be disciplined and work hard to grasp fully the
concepts they were putting across, so that they are fully understood.  He also
said we must reinvent ourselves from time to time, making movements going
forward.

Izwe

Jaki