-----Original Message-----
From: sero...@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:08:53
To: <pa...@googlegroups.co.za>
Subject: Organisational cultural characteristics

I've been quite encouraged and motivated by the inputs on this forum lately,
and am admittedly chuffed by Hulisani Mmbara and Mduduzi Sibeko with their
probing insight and provocative interrogation of the assumptions we hold
respectively.
In my musings I've been trying to get a correct reading of the pulse in
inner-Party matters. I will not bore you with the findings, safe to say that we
are presently at the cross roads and must collectively navigate the path to a
bright future - for the sake of the true vanguard, PAC, and the African people.
The weight of history is on our shoulders.
Our organisational culture - particularly subcultures - have increasingly
degenerated our positive capabilities to work and win in extremely difficult
conditions and turned instead into huge barriers to leveraging our collective
wisdom.
There exists among us detrimental personal ambitions to steal and hoard assets
of the Party and turn them into fiefdoms. This is a huge stumbling block.
I listened attentively to Narius Moloto at a PASMA national general council
almost a month ago saying "the PAC will hold its elective congress in
Butterworth with approved structured only and no one will stop this". This is
fatal absolutism and goes against the grain of democratic centralism - a
cornerstone of the PAC's decision making process.
In organisational theory, structure follows strategy. Moloto's approach is to
completely deny the rot in their administration - where both a constitutional
crisis and a legitimate leadership crisis exist - and to bury his head in the
sand like the proverbial ostrich. He claimed in his take-it-or-leave-it
approach that only branches blessed by him as "party-builder" will go to
congress. This is a classic case of how personal bigotry and intolerance
destroys collective reasoning and decision-making.
I also do not understand the concept of political slates (as in the ANC) where
election lists are secretly prepared and canvassed among voting cattle ahead of
resolving the current crises. These lists are always headed by some shady
individual with a hidden agenda. Politically, mountain-topism (the concept of
rallying around a personality in inner-party campaigns) is a recipe for
disaster and often turns the individual into the head of a divisive faction.
Haven't we learned from the experience with Themba Godi, Thami ka Plaatjie,
Letlapa Mphahlele and others.
How we deal with mistakes significantly reflects the sub-cultural norms and
practices in our organisation. Thick headed behavior and practice, in which we
are reluctant to admit mistakes, shapes the context of our serial failures in
social interaction with the Azanian masses. Do we really think the masses will
not scrutinise the way we solve our own problems? The value of recognizing the
source  of mistakes, and fixing them, is critical to our collective party
building success.
We have to be objective and frank in our interactions with each other, comrades
and compatriots. This is why I found the inputs and follow through on Mmbara
and Sibeko quite enriching and inspiring to the cause of sustaining the
Lembede-Sobukwe-Biko political legacy.

Jaki Seroke

Sending your posting to payco@googlegroups.com