Comrades
Thabo Mbeki's leadership had its ups and downs, and it even affected our
political space in the Africanist school of thought because he usurped that
position.  In a way he became more Catholic than the Pope.  He even used some
of our best brains to articulate changes in the new leadership in African Union
programmes.  This position made him more enemies in the traditional white
liberal and conservative fronts.  You will have noticed that most English
speaking white South Africans have connections with their Rhodesia, their
interest lie in the loss of their properties and further threats posed by an
Africanist party like ZANU-PF - which Mbeki refused to denounce.  They also
play a major role in higher learning institutions like Wits, KZN, Rhodes, Cape
Town and similar others.  I therefore understand where you are coming from in
your critical assessment of Brian Pottinger's book.
The Democratic Alliance is a well oiled machinery and it will certainly grow
its political supports in the Black communities because that space is left
blank.  It has big business behind it, it is western centred, and in the eyes
of imperialism it can do better than the ANC in government.  It is only failing
to get credible leaders, and a critical mass of voters.  Remember that they
have a sitting support of about 4 million registered white voters as a base.
They are wooing the likes of Mamphela Ramphela and others who have an
impeccable standing in Black communities.  Cde Charge-in Mabaso is right when
he says their alliance tactics seem to be working - they've submerged the
Independent Democrats, verkrampte elements of the National Party, and they have
recruited highly skilled Blacks from the emerging professional class.  This
history however makes them unfavorable for power.  They are not an alternative
government - their policies are a variation of the ANC.  We could say they both
behave like the Republicans (DA) and the Democrats (ANC) in the US, or the
Tories (DA) and Labor (ANC) in the UK.
The Azanian Tendency (PAC, BCM, & others) on the other hand, has done a great
dis-service to the African people. Assessed objectively, we have not made a
turnaround from the loss of ground suffered since 1990.  It is a clear case of
moving from the sublime to the ridiculous.  The African people are in disarray,
dysfunctional in every way, and are far from the decision making centres of
power. The caliber of leadership as envisaged by AP Mda, Sobukwe and Biko has
dissipated over the years, and has been taken over by the lousy lot. The other
day I had a chat with Cde Lybon Mabasa on the mobilisation of BC in 1975/6 to
vote Uncle Zeph Mothopeng as president of the Black Peoples Convention.  As you
know, Uncle Zeph was also leading the PAC underground at the time, Poqo forces
thought it was not a prudent idea and the move was not carried all round.  We
were saying that had the PAC taken over at that time, it highly unlikely that
the Charterists would have gained an upper hand.  Our failure has been the lack
of development of a strong middle ranking leadership,  that interacts with the
people and can do tactical level operations of our programmes.  We also do not
galvanize leadership at grass-root level.  Our organisational structures, from
the top to bottom, do not have the necessary confidence to lead the Azanian
masses.  I argue that we have not mobilized enough resources and capability as
a Party to sustain our input in SA politics. Everyone of us wants to be the
head of the organisation.  With no experience and no grooming, such leaders are
disastrous when at the helm of the organisation.  For instance, Thami ka
Plaatjie as SG held several meetings with the Boeremag upstarts without inputs
from his colleagues in the NEC.  The meeting is on the records of the treason
trial.  So the head, in a manner of speaking, can wake up tomorrow to do as
they wish.  We all know that Uncle Zeph - the choir/orchestra/symphony
conductor -  consulted his executive team and his membership, even if he knew
which way the Party should be going.  Bishop Stanley Mogoba announced in public
the cutting of hands and other limbs to curb crime, without first discussing
this 'policy' with the PAC, at the time when the Party had real chances to grow
its support.  Letlapa Mphahlele is a proven lone ranger - they say quite waters
run deep - and he is unashamedly driving the Party into a straat loop dood.
There is no other way of putting it, comrades - this is the time of the
anarchist.  We must learn from this experience so that we do not repeat the
same mistakes.
Modern African intellectuals are known for talking in the corners and playing
praise singers to the leadership.  They do not criticise and evaluate the
performance of the leadership. They prefer to save their skins. We can also do
this self-preservation, but it is our people who suffer from this inertia.
Intellectuals have the tools to analyse the raw material from the everyday
activities of society, and suggest the best ways forward.  From the church, to
business, academia, education, and other social strata, the ideas to resolve
our own problems are generated from these quarters. I suggest we use them.
Otherwise we will complain forever about arrogant white intellectuals doing
what we are collectively better placed at doing.
Jaki