Ogg Vorbis is a popular free (as in free from patents) encoder, of a much
higher quality than Mp3 - most players support Ogg through a plug-in and
even
portable player Ogg support is surfacing (Rio Karma, Neuros Audio, iRiver).
Ogg supports full ID Tagging where track information (Artist etc) is
imbedded
within the music file. This current release is on a par with AAC (mp4) and
WMA 9, for encoding I would recommend using Variable Bitrate q .6 which
gives
about 192 Kbps.

This Ogg Vorbis Codec installation enables
dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP)
to play Ogg files and
dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC)
to convert to and from Ogg.

Ogg Compression Options

Encoding - Ogg files fall into these distinct categories:
List of 3 items
. Variable Bitrate (VBR). Ogg files are made up from 100's of small audio
chunks, called frames. Whilst encoding a VBR file, the encoder decides which
bit
rate to use for each frame. Bit rates can drop down to lower value when it
is warranted (if there is not much sound going on), and switch up to a
higher
bit rate when required. VBR files should be used when encoding ogg files
unless there is a specific reason not to,
. Constant Bitrate (CBR), a constant bit rate is used throughout the
encoding process,
. Average Bit Rate a little like VBR except with VBR the end file size is
not known (could be small, could be big), ABR is VBR with known end file
size,
it works by regulating how variable the compression is, so at the end of the
compressing the average is exactly the value specified.
list end

Bitrate - Measurement (in 1000 bits per second) of how much compressed audio
data flows per second. Higher bit rates files are of a higher quality than
lower bit rate files.

Frequency - number of samples per second to be encoded, 44100 happens to be
the exact frequency Audio CDs play using. [as source] allows the output
frequency
to be set the same as the input frequency.

Channels
Block quote start

Stereo - two channels of sound, enables instruments to appear separated from
one another, Just imagine if we only had one ear then there would be no need
for stereo...

Mono a recording with only a single channel of information. A question that
is often asked Why is my 128kbps encoded Mono file, not half the size as a
128kbps
encoded Stereo file? The answer is simple, to keep the Kbps rate constant,
the mono file is encoded at twice the quality rate as the stereo file (Kbps
measurement is for the whole recording regardless of the number of channels,
so Per Channel Kbps = Kbps / Number of Channels).

[as source] sets the channels to match the input channels.
Block quote end
Doc Wright
http://wrightplaceinc.net
When I've given all that I have to give
Its just the least I can do for my neighbor.