Hi Tessa.

Your friend should consider GoldWave.  This is a digital editing program
which enables people like your friend to copy all his music collection,
CD's, Tapes and Vinyl into his computer.

A demonstration of GoldWave can be downloaded from: http://www.goldwave.com/
and scripts for JAWS and GoldWave can be downloaded free from:
http://jbauer.no-ip.org/

There is also a very good list for GoldWave users were your friend can get
advice and support.

I believe that GoldWave costs about £25.  Another popular program is Sound
Forge but this costs about £200.

Here is what John Wilson has to say about Goldwave:

For its price, GoldWave has an impressive array of audio

creating, converting, special effects and editing features for

digital music, analogue music and speech input. It can take

digital audio from your CD drives and convert this to more than

a dozen alternative formats such as WAV and compressed MP3, WMA

and OGG Vorbis formats. It is also able to remaster and fix

crackles, his and clicks on music and other sound files you

record into it from external sources, such as from vinyl LPs,

music cassettes, the radio and other sound sources fed into it

via the jack plug on your sound card. As part of its standard

installation it provides normalising and noise reduction

Best wishes.
Andy from sunny Kilcreggan