From: Matt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 1:31 AM
To: PC audio discussion list.
Subject: Re: Winamp 5.04 accessible?

Yes, it can be made accessible, but it's pretty tricky.

You have to switch in to Classic Winamp in order for everything to work as
it did before.

To do this, you need to access the preferences dialogue, and arrow down to
the skins area of the tree view. In the options panel, you will find that
you have a choice between Classic Winamp, and Modern Winamp. It defaults to
Modern Winamp. Jaws will also go a bit weird at this point, but don't panic.
If it says, List box Winamp Modern 2 of 2, then obviously you just up arrow
once to select Classic Winamp. Then rather than trying to figure out where
it's thrown your cursor, just exit Winamp completely and re-open it. Your
changes should have taken effect, and you should now be able to turn off the
various bits of the screen you don't want.

You should also be aware that they have now introduced a new component
called the Media Library. This can be turned off in a similar way to the
mini browser, equalizer and play-list editor.

I would like to point out however, that if someone could modify the existing
Winamp scripts to take advantage of the new Winamp layout, it would be an
incredibly powerful tool for most of us. This is largely because it can now
support practically any audio/video playback, burn and rip CD's, and even
play DVD movies as far as I can tell. What's more, if we could use the Media
library screen, everything is right there ready to use. No messing around
with menus and trying to remember a billion hotkeys! Everything ready to go
in one place. But there are parts of the screen that do not work out of the
box, and I for one, refuse to mouse around using the Jaws Cursor! That's a
cop-out, and it isn't a reliable way of accessing software really because
you end up hearing every last graphic, symbol and character on every line,
and somewhere amongst all that babble is the one tiny thing you're looking
for! LOL!

One other catch however, is that if you wish to rip tracks from a CD in to
MP3 format, you actually have to buy Winamp Pro! What a surprise! I expect
there are a number of other features which are not accessible in the basic
version, but I believe that Pro is not very expensive. Certainly not as
expensive as say, Real Player Pro would be.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Matt

---