From: "Jim Portillo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 2:01 AM
Subject: Total Recorder and sound questions

Hello there.  I'm wondering if anyone on this list deals much with the use
of the Total Recorder program.
I just got it this weekend and am excited with its many posibilities.
However, I'm running into a problem.

I am trying to record using a microphone.  I have a laptop that is running
Windows XP, and I have a soundblaster card for a sound card.
I bought one of those headset microphones, and it seems to be working
because when I actually record, I know it is recording what I'm saying.
However, what happens is that I personally can't hear myself as I talk, so
it's hard to set levels.
I've gone to the sound and audio part of the Control Panel to tweek the
settings, and so far, the volume is set right and the line-in is unmuted.

What I'd eventually like to do is to record my minidisks by using a line-in
cable and Total Recorder, but again, it's going to be hard because something
is not allowing me to hear what is going on.  Yet, I do know that sound is
feeding through because I was able to record.  I just wasn't able to set the
levels without being able to hear what is being recorded.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Jim