If your church has some serious sound reinforcing equipment, like Peavy, Soundcraft, Tascam, or Sun, your friend had better be extremely careful how he goes about getting his sound signal. Mixing boards like the aforementioned don't have line level outputs anywhere on them. More like 10 dbv nominal. Peak voltages from those mixing board outputs can cook a computer sound card quick as a wink.

Best,
Lou Novath
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bobcat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: CONNECTING A MIXER TO THE COMPUTER -- DO I NEED A PREAMP??

A pre-amp is not necessary when sending aline level signal from a mixer to a
sound card. Your friend probably needed to select line input in the record
section of Windows mixer.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Victory Associates LTD, Inc." Subject: CONNECTING A MIXER TO THE
COMPUTER -- DO I NEED A PREAMP??
Yesterday in church, one of my colleagues was trying to record the service
via the computer using a software he called Music Studio 2005; he ran a
one-eight inch patch cord from the Maki mixer to the LINE-IN on the
computer. However, he was unable to record.

He asked me why he was unable to record having connected the mixer to the
computer with a patch cord; I told him that a preamp would be needed for
this to occur.  Is my assessment close enough to being correct??