Hi list,
    I use Easy CD Creator to rip tracks in to wave files.  That way if I
need to tweek with the volume of anything I can go in to Fast Edit and edit
some things like that.  I also convert to wave files so I can see at a
glance how much time I have on the cd.  Let's say you keep all the tracks in
1 folder, just look at how big the folder is and there you have it.
    If I want to convert to mp3s, I use Razorlame and usually go at a
bitrate of 320.  No loss of quality that way.  Just my thoughts.
Denny