Well, I'm assuming that a car kit is actually a cassette with a wire hanging
out the back end of it, with an 8th inch jack on the end of the wire.  The
general purpose is for hooking the xm radio up to the car's casette player.
However, you can put this thing into any kind of casette player if you want.
For a time, I was using this "car kit" to make one of my double deck boom boxes
become speakers for my computer.  Plus, it would allow me to record stuff off
my pc onto cassette.  It's good for a boombox which does not have line in jacks
on it.