Hi Tom,
CDRW's, should be used for data disks only.
For burning audio disks, use CDR's.
Several factors come into play here,
if you want an audio disk to play on other devices other than your computer,
it should be burnt as an audio disk, the format  is CDA.
This format will play on most CD audio devices, and some DVD players,
if the player supports that particular format.
Likewise, if you want to make an audio disk, with mp3's on it, this can be
done by simply burning a data disk,
using a CDR.
This type of disk will also play in other audio devices, as long as the
device supports that format.
No matter what type of disk you are burning, you should always select the
slowest speed avbailavle, make sure all other applications are shut down
before starting the burn process.
The reason for this, is because the burn process is processor intensive, no
matter what your processor speed is.
Computer activities, can be a little quirky at times, so you want to create
the best possible environment for creating CD's.
As I mentioned in a previous response to another question,
you should do a little testing to find out what brand of disk gives you the
best consistent results.
I don't mind spendingmore on good quality disks, because it is cheaper than
throwing away a lot of poor quality disks.
HTH,
Richard Justice