Many thanks to Kevin and others who offered help with this. I have, at long last, solved the problem. Somehow, the item labeled "song title" was listed ahead of the item labeled "track" in the file name section of the cd ripping options. I don't know whether those are the default settings, or whether my inept bungling caused this to happen, but now that I have put "track" at the top of the options list, the numbers come first, and therefore, tracks will now play sequentially, as originally intended, rather than alphabetically.
Thanks again.
Cris Hall