Tom.  If you have to go out and buy the y connector,  depending upon your
set up,  you might also want to purchase a cable about 6 feet or longer with
stereo male connector on one end and a female stereo connector on the other.
My computer tower is on the floor under a long table that holds all sorts of
computer equipment.  So, I plugged the y connector into where the speakers
were.  plugged the speakers into one side of the y.  in the other I plugged
in the male end of the long cable.  Then I led the cable up onto the table.
Into the female connector now on the table,  I plugged in a solid connector
with a stereo male connector on one side and two female stereo connectors on
the other.  Now into that I can plug and unplug the fm transmitter as
needed.  And I have a spare place, on the table,  to plug in anything else,
such as a cassette recorder,  or anything else you can imagine.  Just some
ideas to consider.
Lois Goodine.