I don't want to make this message sound defeatist.  I applaud your
efforts with Panasonic, really I do, but unfortunately none of what
the product manager wrote back is not news to us, or at least, it
shouldn't be.  If a company can't find a way to mass-market something,
they're not going to make one version for a couple hundred potential
buyers, or even make firmware versions we can flash on our own just
for accessibility's sake.  They've got to find a way to make people
who don't need it,want it.  Our kind of accessibility, that is.

What blindkind has yet to fully understand is why the audio interface
is so inferior to someone who can see.  The best way I can analogize
it is, if there were in existence an interface where you could place
your hands on, say, a tablet of some kind and size of, say, a pair of
side-by-side Braille pages, you could examine the equivalent of an
on-screen interface just like a sighted person can--notably, not in
single-field quantities, but as a larger, more complete picture. You
could run your finger up and down a column of options and tap on them
to change them, the change would show up under your finger(s)
instantly, and you'd be able to see how the changes you make are
integrated with the rest of the interface's data in a much more
systematic and complete way than we ever can with speech alone.  But
because most of us, myself included, don't know anything else, this is
how we've learned to adapt.  But watching friends deal with these
things, as well as having designed more than a few interfaces myself
over the years, has taught me a lot about how the screens are
designed, and how people's mental and physical focus is directed based
on screen layout, something with which we don't normally need to deal.
OK, field order on a Windows dialog might interest us, but mostly we
don't care whether the things are arranged in grids or boxes or even
circles because that's not how the thing is presented to us.  Take the
two-dimensionality away from the sighted user and make them deal with
fields one at a time per focus, and they're lost. They want to see the
whole picture.  Their eyes want to scrub around the screen looking for
patterns their brain has been trained to find and deal with, even if
said pattern cannot be matched exactly.  That's something we as
speech, and even Braille, users, will never be able to do quite like a
sighted person can, which is why the manufacturers of technology used
by sighted people don't feel that a talking interface would help them,
which is why the makers won't make it, because the sellers can't sell
it.

And in case ya haven't figgered it out by now, that's why blinknology
is so expensive.  We're one of the smallest niche markets, and once
we're tapped out, there just isn't any more. They're makin' fewer and
fewer of us blind folks every year, which, of course, is a grand
thing, but we who remain are getting a smaller and smaller piece of
the already too-short end of an ever-so-slowly but surely shortening
stick.