Hi jim

Let me put your questions first and then I'll try to answer them as best I can.

At 09:16 PM 2/3/2005, you asked:

Do I just download the upgrade for the free version to upgrade the
pro version to this version?

When you purchased Winamp pro, you should've received an e-mail containing a registration key which you can then enter into Winamp full to make it pro. You can do this in the preferences under the Winamp pro section which is all the way at the top.
The really cool thing about all this is that when you upgrade to the next version, you can download and install either the pro version or the most recent full version, which as you said is 5.08. So, let's say you downloaded, and registered 5.03. If you did,then yes, you can download and install 5.08 right on top of your existing version and everything will remain the same. What Nullsoft did was pretty cool. When you registered Winamp pro, a key is placed in your system registry that remembers your registration info, so even if you upgrade it still stays there.

You then said:

  Also, Winamp claims that the Pro version can
rip audio from cds.  Anyone know the keystrokes necessary to do this?  I
don't see it in the menus.
It's not actually in the menus. It's actually in the media library, which is available by pressing alt plus l. you'll then get a tree view you can move up and down in and then you should be able to see your drives, or drive if you only have one. it should say something like, cd d: or cd E: depending on which drive letter they are. then if you tab over, you should see a listing of the tracks that are on the cd in your drive, this is of course assuming you have one in there. If you do then if you press your tab key a few times you should see a rip button. when you press this, a context menu will appear and the first choice will be rip all tracks. press enter on this and then the ripping process starts. Unfortunately, even on my pretty fast 3.06 G hertz p 4 machine, the process took a lot longer than I would like. So for ripping cd's, it is slow. I hope they address this in a subsequent release.
By the way, you can determine which format your cd is ripped into and other things like where your files will go in the preferences in the cd ripping section of the tree view. Hope this helps.