To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:02 AM
Subject: New high quality recorder from Olympus

Olympus has released the DS-2. This flash recorder has a maximum
recording frequency of 17000 Hertz, much better than their other
dictation recorders. It achieves this with its S-HQ mode: Microsoft
Windows Media Audio 44.1 KHZ, 64 KBPS. It has a USB port and it works as
a drive on a PC. Sounds great, but ...

It records onto its built-in memory and it has only 64 mb. Therefore the
maximum recording time in S-HQ is one hour and five minutes. It uses two
AAA batteries and the specs say, that one can record up to 15 hours with
one set. That's much better than the Edirol R1, which can only record up
to one hour with two AA batteries. It's interesting to compare the two.
The Olympus doesn't seem to have a built-in microphone, it has a 1.8
stereo mic mini jack. The Edirol has a built-in mic, but it doesn't have
a built-in speaker, which the DS-2 has. Also, one can manually set the
recording volume on the Edirol, but as much as I know, this isn't
possible with the Olympus.

All in all, I'd say that these recorders are promissing, but they both
have some significant limitations. The DS-2 costs around 199 Euros here
in Germany.

  <*** Michael Lang ***>