Larry,
I've never used the paid service so couldn't say for sure, but that sounds
like a self-serving approach on their part.  I should think it wouldn't hurt
to try to switch to another player if you can.  You may find the Winamp
interface easier particularly if you want to bookmark a stream and if the
quality is good for listening you should get a good recording.  I guess I'm
one of those folks who just uses embedded players when I have to, smile, and
probably just the only site where I do use their player consistently is the
BBC site.

Susan