Simon,

Can you see the card in device manager? Does the card share an interrupt with another device? this might impact the function of the card.
Is your system still running windows 98? Is there a conflict between the sound card you are using for speech at present and the lexicon? When you run SNDVOL32, go to properties, do you have the view hence the option of modifying the controls for both cards? I'm not sure if this works in 98, but I can see both cards in the volume control in 2k and xp. Have you been able to contact the manufacturer or retailer for help?
BTW I haven't posted this to the accessuk list as well.

Best,

Joe Paton