Paul,

I guess that a 64-bit processor may well improve overall performance. It will certainly cost you much more, so looking at the return on investment and the actual performance improvements would be worth further investigation. However I suspect that faster multiple Hard disks, Low latency sound cards, as much RAM as you can install will far outway the 64 bit processor. I guess that to fully benefit from a 64 bit Main board and processor, you will require 64-bit applications.

What about the apple and tiger running pro tools?
cheers.

Joe