From: "Kevin Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: CdEx settings check

Hi Daniel.

I'll address some of your questions below by letting you know what settings
I use and why.  I also have a critical ear and also confess to being a metal
head.  Despite what some might think about metal, it actually needs a high
bit rate to get everything out of the extremes.

By the way, any setting I don't mention ain't important and should be left
at default value as far as I'm concerned.

1.  Thread priority - below normal - I set it here so that I can carry on
using my computer without any sluggishness.  Normal isn't too bad but above
is obviously faster to rip but takes over your computer.
2.  Encoder - lame - the best MP3 encoder as far as I'm concerned.

3.  Version - MPEG1 - just means MP3 - don't worry about it

4.  Bit rate min - 128kbps - yes, this is the minimum bit rate or the floor
if you like when ripping in variable bit rate mode.  The encoder won't drop
below this.  The encoder will only go down this far if it thinks you won't
lose quality so it's safe to set to 128kbps rather than 192kbps if you're
using variable bit rates

5.  Bit rate max - 320kbps - as I said, I prefer quality to disc space so
let the encoder use as much as it needs to get the best result - that's my
personal philosophy.  It's interesting to see just how many CD's get ripped
with tracks in excess of 256kbps.

6.  Stereo - don't use anything else like joint stereo - it'll sound tacky
and you'll regret
it later

7.  Quality - high - if you want the best sound quality for your compressed
music there's no other setting worth using.

8.  On the fly - unchecked - if you check this box you're telling the
program to read and rip to your hard drive in one move thereby increasing
your chances of including pops, clicks and jitter errors.  By unchecking
this you'll be telling the program to firstly extract the data from the CD,
create an image on your hard drive and then convert to MP3.  This will yield
a better result.

9.  VBR method - VBR default - this basically tells the encoder that you
wish to use variable bit rates.  There's little to choose in the individual
different VBR methods in my opinion so why not the default.

10.  VBR quality - VBR 0 - the highest quality for the VBR algorithm.

Kevin
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]