Actually, for many soundcards, you can make recordings without the replay radio drivers. I suspect you need them if, like myself, you want to use the extended sound card driver. This is not automatically loaded onto your computer as it can in some cases cause problems, but was revamped and brought back into the program by popular demand because it allows one to record the stream before it hits the sound card screening out any system sounds and this includes speech. It is easily removed from the control panel add-remove programs option specifically because they figure that if it does cause problems on a specific system, the owner will want to remove it. I use it regularly because it causes no significant problems on my machine.
RD