Hi,

The only .mp3 player I use is the very rudimentary and small capacity MuVo
from Creative Labs,which I got as part of a subscription package from
audible.com, an online digital audio book vendor.  This isn't likely to suit
your needs, if only because its flash memory capacity is only 128 Mb.

But as far as audio quality goes, this isn't something like home stereo
equipment, where products can differ vastly in their ability to produce good
sound.  From my experience, as well as from every consumer article I've read
in various places, including the New York times tech news section, the
circuitry of these devices is pretty uniform in design and manufacturing
quality, and thus essentially transparent.  What will matter most to your
ears will be how the compressed file is encoded and then, assuming that as a
constant in terms of source quality, the most important link in this short
chain will be the acoustic properties of whatever headphones you choose to
use with the device, including their sensitivity rating.  Which matters here
because the higher the sensitivity rating, the less battery power and the
less amplifier power will be required to drive them to acceptable volume
levels, increasing battery life and reducing distortion from having to turn
the little amp up too high.

All that said, ordinary ear buds like those offered by Sony and other
companies will probably suffice quite well if you're mostly playing popular
music to exercise by or something like that.  If your mobile listening
tastes run to more sonically complex music with a broader dynamic range, as
in classical music, then better headphones would make an appreciable and
audible difference.

Hope this helps.

  ----