Hi all!
Well today I got an iRiver iFP-899 and installed the music manager software
and downloaded the most recent firmware for the 800 series, at least that's
what it says.  So I let the upgrade process complete, and the player
powered off.

This upgrade is supposed to let the player show up as a drive in my
computer, in my case it would probably be drive g.  However, when I closed
the music manager software and powered the player back on, windows
definitely recognizes the device, but it's not showing up as a drive. The
only way I can see the folders like record and voice, is if I launch the
music manager.  The driver and the software all seem to show up ok under
the device manager and everything checks out accept for this.  Can anyone
tell me how I might resolve this? i would really rather not use that stupid
music manager.
Thanks.