From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: 29 September 2005 01:02 PM
To: PC audio discussion list.
Subject: Re: looking for MP3 player

A couple of things to consider:

1. Will the player act like an external drive, or are you stuck with the
manufacturer's software?  Iriver requires use of its propritary software,
which isn't very accessible, unless you can find and install an additional
file to make it act like a drive.
2.  Battery.  some players use a proprietary battery.  In the case of MuVo
slim, the battery is charged by plugging the player into the USB port for
three hours.  this is lovely if you're at home and have access to a
computer, although you can't listen to your book with the player plugged
into the drive.  If you don't just happen to have a computer handy to plug
into, you're out of luck.  Most MP3 players use tripple-a batteries and a
few use double-a's.  These run something like 15 hours and can be replaced
at will.

3.  Manuals.  Some manuals are easy to read, and some are obviously written
in a language not native to the writer.  the Iriver manual for the IFP-795T
is not only painfully graphic but so poorly written as to be not very
useful.

4.  And of course it needs to play at least MP3 and WMA files.  Most of them
do.  Iriver says it plays OGG as well, but I haven't tried it.  I have not
seen one that plays .wav files.

The player of choice in our home is a 1 gig Sandisk, with FM radio and
recording capability.  It's $129 from circuit City, who will ship for free.