Hi Ken

You can fast forward and rewind within a track on the shuffle. simply
hitting the track forward and back buttons and holding them down will do
this.  By default the shuffle randomizes the tracks you put on it but if
you don't want that, you can move the selection switch to the other slot
which is the play tracks in the order they are placed on your shuffle.  The
shuffle to me is the no frills iPod and doesn't give you much in the way of
being able to making any changes to the sound quality.  If you get one,
just be ready to only be able to move back and forward within and between
tracks. You can't make any sound adjustments like you can on other players.