Hi Gene and Larry,

Thank you for your immediate replies.  Gene, you were right on.  I never
thought of checking the default configuration.  In fact, I never knew you
could change the settings on the driver.  This machine came as is, so I
never had to deal with that part of the setup.

It took me a while to find where to change the configuration.  But I finally
found it in the speaker tab of the sounds and audio devices in the control
panel.  I was pleasantly surprised to see so many different configurations
there, and sure enough, the default configuration was desktop speakers.

Larry, my Winamp problem went away when I changed the speaker configuration
to surround sound 5.1 speakers.  Oh, what a relief!  I am so glad to hear
the clean sound on podcast files using Winamp. Again.

Thank you for your help, both of you.

ST

Below is the original message I sent:

                        Hello everyone:

I've been having a bit of a problem.  I have a Pentium 4 with XP

professional.  It's running at about 3.08GHz with one gigabytes of RAM.

Ever since I installed Total Recorder about a month ago, I've been having to

take care of a problem here and there.

It started out with the microphone input on the soundcard no longer

responding.  It turned out that somehow the Total Recorder's driver did not

like the SoundBlaster Audigy driver and corrupted it.  This problem was

fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the SoundBlaster Audigy driver, and

the microphone input on the soundcard now works.  But in the process the

Total Recorder's driver disappeared.  At this point that is a minor issue

for me.

Then the second major problem happened.  For some reason, the rear speakers

on the surround sound system quit working.  I know the speakers themselves

are working because when I use them as front speakers, they work.  So at

this point I don't know whether there is something wrong with the soundcard

or the controller that is connected to the soundcard since I have no idea

how I can test them.  I forgot to mention that the sound system is Boston

Acoustics' BA7900 5 and 1 speaker system.  It is possible that the problem

may be the subwoofer since the all the speakers are directly connected to

it.  The controller brings the sound signals from the soundcard and feeds

them into the subwoofer.

My third problem, which is the reason for this inquiry, is that I noticed

last night Winamp was playing the podcast files I downloaded in very poor

quality.  They sound like listening to a far-away FM radio station with

quite a bit of static.  Sometimes the files played are breaking up as if I'm

getting a bad stream.  I played the same files on Studio Recorder and Sound

Forge, and they are in perfect quality with no extra noise.

Does anyone out there happen to know what's going on with my system?  I

don't know if I need to be focusing on my soundcard, Winamp or speaker

system.  I've unstalled and reinstalled different versions of Winamp several

times.  But the result is just the same.  I wish I new how surround sound

signals are coming out from the soundcard, so that I could test to see if

all the ports are in working order.

There are five jacks on the soundcard.  I know the microphone jack, line-in

jack and line-out (at least I think that's what it is) jack are working.

But I'm not sure about the jack between line-in and line-out, and the jack

on the outside opposite from the microphone jack.

If anyone out there can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry about the long-winded explanation of my problem.

ST