Sirius does not offer a way to subscribe to the service without purchasing
a radio first, this is correct.  XM will allow you to buy a subscription to
their online service for $7.95 a month, but you don't get all the channels
the regular radio can get, and you actually get some channels that are only
available online.  So as far as XM goes, the ideal way to do it is just buy
a radio and then you can also subscribe online for free.  The radios are
like only $39 now so the prices have dropped considerably.  The kicker is
that $12.95 a month subscription price.
Same for Sirius, accept the radios cost a little more and you also have to
pay $12.95 a month to subscribe.