Hi Michael
Unfortunately I'm not on Skype - I think I'll have to move onto something
like that soon but I've not investigated it yet. Where are you based?
Perhaps a phone call would be possible.

as far as I understand your question I think the way to do this is to go
into the multitrack mode, load your instrumental file into tracks one and
two (assuming it's stereo). Unless you've a complicated set of outputs on
your soundcard it's probably that all the tracks will be outputting to the
same channel, so your instrumental tracks will come through along with the
track you're about to record, let's say, track 3.

Assuming you're using the Jaws scripts, when you go into multitrack mode
(view menu toggle between it and edit view), you should choose track 3 by
arrowing down to it. When on it you then use the tab key to go through a
series of options, e.g. mute, arm,  output, input, etc. When you arrive on
'Arm' just press enter - jaws should not only tell you when you'reon the arm
setting, but when you press enter on it it will change from 'no' to 'yes'.
You can now record on that track while listening to all three tracks through
the output on your soundcard. Of course you'll only get sound from the
microphone if you've set the input to the correct soundcard input and
switched on the microphone option on the volume settings. (For this see
Control Panel, Sounds, the audio tab, record volume settings - you need to
tab round here to microphone and select the microphone as your recording
device. Just tick the select box.)

Just use the standard record functions to make this work - control and space
and control and s to stop. Playing as usual is just with the space bar.

Hopefully I'm not telling you what you know already. Hope this helps.
Regards.
Gordon