Chris, this particular driver seems to neatly sidestep the problems
you describe and is really the only way to record from a sound card
if you use software speech.  It is stable and only runs when asked
to.  It is also a polite guest and goes away when it's not wanted.

Monica
Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com