-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Lang
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:22 PM
To: PC audio discussion list.
Subject: Re: A new recording device

Nektarios, you wrote:

> Michael, have you had any experience with the ptr2? How would you
> compare the recording quality with the iriver both with the internal
> mike and the external or line in?

I own the PTR2. I've recorded with the 140, but I've not used Rockbox
for that. I believe, that one can control the record level with Rockbox
while recording? This isn't possible with the normal firmware.

I think that the recording quality of the two is quite similar. Both
machines can record in uncompressed Wave and MP3. As much as I know, one
cannot use MP3 on the iRiver when Rockbox is used, because MP3 requires
a license, and this license costs money.

The main difference in my opinion is accessibility. With the PTR2, I can
ask the recorder to tell me, how much time's left on the card or CD. The
machine tells me, when the battery is flat. I have a talking level
control. I can easily distinguish between record and record pause mode
and so on.

Like the iRiver the Plextalk has a stereo Plug-in power capable
microphone input and a line-in. However it doesn'T have optical in and
out like the iRiver. The built-in mic of the Plextalk is mainly for note
taking, I'd not use it to record music. But I wouldn't use the built-in
mic of the iRiver for that either, because of the hard disk noise.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>

This list is a service of MosenExplosion.com. To see what other lists we