Hi all, some interesting points in this thread. From my point of view, if
you're willing to invest in the tool that gets the job done most
efficiently, Sound Forge is so far ahead that Goldwave isn't even worth your
consideration. I say this because the reason Sound Forge became the leading
single track editor in the blind community is because of the way in which it
embraces standard Windows navigation and selection methods. So if you're a
competent user of word processors like MS word, and you understand how to
select text in regular Windows applications, your learning curve with Sound
Forge is minimised hugely. I would put Studio Recorder way ahead of Goldwave
and in some respects better than Sound Forge for certain tasks. For example,
the sound don sound feature in the latest Studio Recorder is incredibly easy
to use, yet powerful. It also attempts where possible to adhere to Windows
standards. It's special accessibility features make it worthy of serious
consideration, particularly if you don't require lots of special affects.

For those constrained by limited time, selecting and manipulating sound in
Sound Forge or Studio Recorder is vastly more efficient than Goldwave is.

If money is a consideration, I would still recommend Sound Forge's cut down
version because of the superior adherence to Windows conventions, although
Goldwave is definitely more feature rich than this version of Sound Forge.
If you're not serious about sound editing and want something to play with,
maybe Goldwave is sufficient. Sound Forge is used in many professional
environments for a good reason. It's powerful. Perhaps it provides more
power than some people need, but really, there's no comparison in terms of
functionality and ease of use, and you may find yourself gaining more
experience and find Goldwave constraining. So depending on your needs, I'd
say Sound Forge and Studio Recorder are in a class of their own. Goldwave is
in a different class.

The Minx, the Internet radio station that plays all the great love songs.

http://www.the-minx.com
Jonathan Mosen
Blog, podcast and radio show: http://www.MosenExplosion.com
Ph: +1-925-566-9265.