That amount of money could easily buy an entire radio station including the
building that it is housed in. Unfortunately the vast majority of
broadcasters are not willing to pay for the cost of adaptive equipment nor
are they willing to modify their equipment in order to provide for workplace
accommodation. With the introduction of computers into the broadcast
environment the industry has changed from a hands on user friendly workplace
to one that in today's world looks more like a television studio with
several monitors that have to be viewed constantly in order to make sure
that all operating functions are carried out flawlessly. This could be
anything from: the regular play list, transmitter functions, news feeds,
station traffic and scheduling, and in many small markets the reading of
news and commercials. If you really want to get a taste as to what radio is
all about I would suggest visiting a radio station in your area and talk to
the staff, and from there you will get a feeling if this is the right
business for you to be getting into. Another idea is to find a not for
profit community radio station that is run by volunteers. Volunteers will
often take the time to show you the ropes of the industry. many of these
small stations are  hands on operations without a lot of computer equipment
and software programs. In most cases there is a small eight input control
board with a telephone hybrid and a couple of CD and cassette players. This
in my opinion is a foot in the door as they say. An online radio station or
signing up to perform in announcing function or host on ACB radio is yet
another option that should seriously be considered. The downside of the
broadcast industry is that most radio stations are automated and
unfortunately do not require staffing levels that we experienced five to ten
years ago. The bottom line here is that you are going to have to do your
homework and figure out what exactly your strong points are and work on
them. Do you feel that you would make a good announcer/host? Do you feel
that you have the skills to write a intelligent news story and do all of the
research behind the story that you are researching? Are you capable of
writing copy for commercials? How about your production skills. Do you have
the production skills to do electronic editing on the fly? The broadcast
industry is very demanding and expects most of us that have worked in the
industry to be multitaskers. Personally I have worked in the industry for
over thirty years and got out of the business just about the time that
computers and radio automation took over.

----