From: "Kevin Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: Windows Media Audio

Hi Bruce.

The obvious advantages are:
WMA is supported by many players and is probably the next most supported
format to MP3
WMA supports ID3 tags and so is supported by many software music databases
for managing music collections
WMA can be burned directly to audio CD's because most burning software
programs support direct conversion from WMA to CDDA - I'm not aware of any
that will do this for Flak
WMA sounds damn good - there has been some subjective discussion here on the
comparison between MP3 and WMA, some of which seems very anti-Microsoft
based tripe rather than objective considerations and evidence based.  The
fact is that MP3 is the oldest encoding technology around and lacks the
recent development that's been put into more modern encoders such as WMA.
It's true that DRM is a driver for music sites to adopt WMA but you can't
sell crap quality music so it would not make sense for the industry to adopt
a technology that wasn't going to provide the best quality for the best file
size.  I've personally done much testing over the past 5 to 6 years and have
switched from MP3 to WMA based on the evidence of playback on my computer,
on my portable player and on my Linn hi-fi.  It was painful to rip my
collection all over but I can tell you that the difference in quality is
absolutely apparent and that pain has been rewarded.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]