Hi.
Basically, what you need to do is tell the media player you're
installing brand new, to take everything it can.  Winamp as an
example will do this with the click of one button in the preferences.
Or, if you just want audio, press the audio only button. Want videos
only? Press the video only  button.
The preferences of all the media players that are out there are a
good place to go, and in Windows Media player, at least version 10 (I
haven't played with version 11 so I don't know about that), you have
to go to the file types tab in preferences.  Check all the boxes for
the file types you want it to grab and it'll do that. On my
particular system, I've got Winamp handling mp3, WMA, aac and ogg
files, Windows media player handles most streams with windows media
player, and real player handles all the real media stuff.
and all the players actually behave themselves!

Hope this helps.