Here is more information if you decide to get the anapod explorer.
I chose not to install iTunes directly afterwords. You'll want to do this,
especially if you'll be using alternative software to transfer your files.
Like
others have said on the list, for some unknown reason, iTunes must be
present on your system in order for everything to work. Without it
installed, Anapod
Explorer wouldn't even find my iPod.
Windows found it, but not Anapod.
One very perplexing thing in all this. In order to continue with the install
of your iPod software, the instalation program is going to ask for the 11
digit
serial number found on the box for your iPod. Write this number down,
because you're going to need it. The other problem I had with this, at least
with
JAWS 6, is that when it presents this dialogue, the edit box to type the
number into is not immediately available. The only way i was able to get it
typed
in is to have sighted help moving the mouse to the specific spot on the
screen so that JAWS would find the focus in the edit field. You can then
type in
the serial number and continue with the install.

So, after this, you just install the iPod updater software, at which time,
it should tell you if your iPod needs to be formatted. Mine didn't need to
be,
but the updater program will let you re-initialize the iPod if you need to
do it. If all goes well with this, then it's time to install the iTunes
software.
You may be asked to reboot when you're finished. If you are, please do so.
When you come back up, you'll probably be asked to register your iPod with
Apple.
You'll want to do that, in case you run into any technicle problems, and
they can find your information in their database a little easier. Just
connect
your iPod to your computer via the USB Port if you haven't already done so,
and follow the onscreen prompts and
you'll first give your iPod a name and set a few other preferences.
Now, open up iTunes, and go to the edit menu. You'll need to use your
screenreader's review cursor a lot for this, but it can most certainly be
done. Once
in the edit menu, choose preferences. You'll want to make sure that the
setting for iTunes to load when this iPod is connected is not! checked. so
uncheck
that box, and in the iPod tab, make sure you check the box for disc use
mode. there'll be a dialogue that comes up letting you know that doing this
makes
it like a drive in windows, but this is ok so just press the ok button.

After that, you can install Anapod explorer. All of the default settings it
gives you are fine, so there probably isn't much of a need to change any of
them. When you install it, you'll want to go to your system tray. you should
see an item there that says, Anapod Manager iPod shuffle. Press enter and
from the menu, choose the item that says, connect iPod shuffle. This
prepares the Shuffle and the computer to send data back and forth. Now,
here's the
really important part. Now, you're ready to transfer data to your shuffle.
To do this, locate any music you'd like to copy to your shuffle. So go to
the
directory where your music is and do a simple copy operation there. Note
that if you have the trial version of Anapod, it'll only let you copy one
song
at a time. This lets you at least figure out if it'll work for you. Ok, now
that you've copied your track or tracks to your clipboard, it's time to
paste
them. I learned through experience that it's important to paste the tracks
in a specific place, rather than just in the route directory of the drive
itself.
You can do this til the end of time and it won't work. So, instead, open up
Anapod Explorer via the context menu in the system tray icon menu and arrow
down to the part of the tree that says,iPod shuffler. The item we're
actually interested in is in this section and is called shuffle memory.
Arrow down
one time to get to this. On some systems you may have to press enter to get
the song list to appear, but on mine curiously, i only had to press the tab
key. and maybe it's just my system in particular, but for some strange
reason, JAWS would not read the list viw to me unless i did a bit of cursor
routing.
But after that, you should be able to paste your tracks there. so go ahead
and do that now. if you read your status line, you'll be able to tell how
fast
the files are transfering and if there's space on the shuffle being taken up
by the files. these are good indicators to tell if you're doing it
correctly.
Eventually your transfer will complete, hopefully successfully! So now,
you'll have to go back to the system tray, choose anapod manager again and
press
enter on disconnect iPod shuffle. This indicates that the file transfers are
over. Now, you'll also need to remove your shuffle from the computer. Don't
just yank it out of the USB port though. First, go back to the anapod
manager menu and choose eject iPod shuffle and then after a few seconds
you'll get
a dialogue box saying that the operation is complete and it's safe to remove
the player. so press the space bar to make it go away. Now it's ok to remove
it from the USB port, so go ahead and do that. Don't forget to replace the
piece of plastic that goes on top of the USB port. Now, find your headphones
and plug them in.

You'll need to turn your shuffle on, next. on the under side you'll find a
switch that has 3 different positions. Move this switch one place forward
for
the shuffle to be turned on and in shuffle mode. move it once more to have
it in regular mode. Now that it'son, press the play button, which you'll
find
on top of the player, it's the round circular button there. Hold it down for
about 5 seconds. If you hear music, you're good to go! You can adjust the
volume by pressing the buttons just above and below the play button. to
switch tracks, the button to the right moves you forward and the one to the
left
moves you back. Holding these buttons down will let you fast forward or
rewind within a track. The only real complaint I have about the shuffle is
its
lack of controls to adjust the sound. On my awesome $35 radio shack
headphones, this thing sounded really tinny. Not a lot of bass or trebble,
but the
sound was certainly good enough when you're out and about. I think of it as
the no-frills iPod. In fact it's the cheepest of all of them. and wouldn't
you know it, just as an aside, I bought it last Thursday for around $150 at
Target, and today I found out that Apple just dropped the price of it by
$30.
That always seems to happen, oh well. In any case, I hope this helps a
perspective, or new iPod shuffle user get going.

  File not found ! Should I fake it ? (Y/N)
robert Doc Wright
http://www.wrightplaceinc.net
Audio web page
http://jookbox.homeftp.net:81