Keith!  I can't post their response to my question because I called on
the phone.
     Here following though, is an interesting document.  It is from the
prospective of Roland Australia but I'm sure that Roland USA adopts a
similar stance.

Buying Roland, Boss and Edirol Products on the Internet.
As part of researching any major purchase you may well be using the internet
to obtain
information and compare
pricing. Many of our authorized Roland dealers have online stores from which
you
can make a legitimate purchase.
However, there are also numerous unauthorized resellers offering our
products for
online purchase. Some of the
pricing available from these overseas sources and local ebay stores appears
to be
very attractive. There are many
varied and complex reasons for this, but if this leads you to consider
purchasing
a NEW Roland or Boss product online,
there are a few things that we advise you to consider.
1.
The complete list of authorized Australian Roland dealers is available on
this site
at
http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?pg=LocateDealer If you buy from
these stores
you are
guaranteeing yourself access to the combined after sales service and
expertise of
both the retailer and Roland
Australia, including return or replacement policies, warranty against faulty
manufacture,
technical support,
spare parts supply and accessories.
2.
If the store you are considering buying from is in Australia, but isn't
listed in
our dealer section on this website,
it may mean that they are not an authorized Roland dealer. The potential
ramifications
of this may affect the
warranty, local technical support, electrical compliance or tax
effectiveness of
your purchase. These topics are
covered in more detail elsewhere on this page. If you have any questions
regarding
the status of a retail store
please contact us on (02) 9982 8266 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
3.
Authorized Roland dealers in other countries are generally prohibited from
selling
Roland or Boss products into
Australia. If you are able to purchase online from another country, it is
likely
that the dealer is not authorized
and the same possible implications as in Point 2 may apply.
4.
Dealers authorized by Roland Australia are prohibited from placing NEW
Roland, Boss
or Edirol products for
sale or auction on ebay.
5.
Roland Australia does not authorize ebay stores. Ebay stores that offer NEW
Roland
and Boss products for
sale are probably sourcing them from unauthorized overseas outlets. This has
potentially
serious ramifications
regarding the warranty, support and electrical compliance of your product.
Roland Australia warrants the first consumer purchaser of every Roland, Boss
and
Edirol product we import.
Unauthorized resellers of our products are not prevented by law from
importing Roland,
Boss and Edirol products
themselves, but as the importer, they are responsible for fulfilling any
promise
of warranty on the products they sell.
Roland Australia is not obliged to offer or support warranty on products
imported
by any other party, whether they be
an importer, wholesaler, retailer or end user. Roland Australia's warranty
information
can be viewed at
http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?pg=Warranty
Other points to consider when considering purchasing Roland, Boss or Edirol
products
from ebay stores:
Unauthorized sellers will often remove serial numbers from products to
prevent their
suppliers from being identified.
Roland Australia will not warrant any product that has been tampered with in
this
way. Insurance companies may
refuse to underwrite or pay claims on product without proof of ownership
through
serial number identification. If you
buy product on ebay which is described as NEW and serial numbers have been
removed,
you are entitled to a full
refund from ebay and/or PayPal as the goods are not as represented and could
be stolen
or second hand.
Products sourced from overseas are usually shipped with US or Euro power
adaptors
that have incorrect plug
configurations and which may not comply with Australian safety standards. It
is an
offence for a retailer to sell any
product with a power plug which does not comply with Australian Standards
AS/NZS3112:2000
and AS/NZS3112:2004
by having insulated pins.
Be sure to ask for a GST invoice with your purchase. Proof of purchase is
required
for warranty and it also acts as a
check of the integrity of the seller.
By buying online from a non authorized Roland dealer you face the risk that
the product
could be counterfeit, unsafe,
non compliant or otherwise not as represented by the seller.
Roland Australia has 30 years of experience and dedication to providing
first class
service to our customers. We invest
considerable resources to ensure that you, the end user, enjoy the best
possible
experience with your Roland, Boss or
Edirol product, from the initial purchase through to the final musical,
audio or
visual application. Every purchase made
from an overseas source threatens the viability and continuity of these
services.

               Jerry

Chirp|Chirp|Chirp: It's the Bat, Chirping Bat .Com
! Edirol R-09: high quality portable stereo Secure Digital Audio recorder
with USB, $399.00, includes delivery within the USA, add $30.00 outside,
www.chirpingbat.com/edirol.shtml
! DEC-TALK USB: $650.00, includes delivery in the USA, add $30 outside,
www.chirpingbat.com/dectalkusb.shtml
! J-Say without Naturally Speaking: Standard $345.00, Professional $575.00,
www.chirpingbat.com/j-say.shtml
! Window Eyes 5.5: $700, includes delivery in the USA,
www.ChirpingBat.Com/windoweyes.shtml
! Triple Talk: USB $450, PCI $350, includes delivery within the USA, add $30
outside, www.ChirpingBat.Com/tripletalk.shtml
! Sound Forge 8.0 with CD Architect 5.2 and Noise Reduction 2.0: $250,
includes delivery within the USA, add $30 outside,
www.ChirpingBat.Com/soundforge.shtml
! We accept PayPal All Major Credit Cards, money orders, checks, wire
transfers, etc.
We ship Internationally.  Click to convert our prices into your currency at:
www.xe.com/ucc/full.shtml

Reach BA Software in the United States at:
Phone: 1-518-572-6092 weekdays, 1-518-359-8538 other, Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Skype name adirondackbat, WWW: www.ChirpingBat.Com