I wonder if renamer will ad a sort number to the front of the files. it may.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Matzura" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 6:52 PM
Subject: About Edirol and Milestone File Storage

I made the following discovery the first time I dumped an audiobook
onto a 2gb SD card and dropped it into my Milestone.  Thinking I was
crazy with the results I got, I tried it in the R9--same thing.  The
result was that the files played totally out of order, but always the
same order, so I knew it wasn't a shuffle mode that was at fault.  I
did a little reading-up on how these SD cards work, and it turns out
that they are formatted using the old FAT16 *8 by 3) file system that
we all remember from DOS and Windows 2 and 3.  Be mindful of this when
you load files with long filenames from your XP machine onto these SD
cards. They'll take the file, even name it correctly, but when the R9
or Milestone reads the card, it stops after the eighth character of
the name, so if the unique part of the filename is after that, all
bets as to what order the things will play in are off.  Put the files
through Bulk Renamer and cut off the most number of characters you can
before the uniqueness of the filename comes up.  For instance, in the
file named "John Sandford - Easy Prey D01 track 01.mp3", you have two
problems--first, cut off everything to the left of the first "01", and
second, cut out the word " track " (that has a space on either side of
it).  This will leave you with filenames like 0101.mp3, 0102.mp3,
etc.--all unique and auto-sorted correctly. You can always make a copy
of the folder you wish to transfer to your FAT-formatted card first
and do the renaming there.

This list is a service of MosenExplosion.com. To see what other lists we