From: "Jonathan Mosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'PC audio discussion list. '" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:43 PM
Subject: RE: Rockbox Question

Hi Vicky. To explain this, it may help to think of these MP3
players as
small, dedicated computers. They have software burned into them,
known as
firmware. Rockbox is a replacement firmware for a number of MP3
players. It
changes the user interface and offers different features. One of
the really
attractive features for blind people is that Rockbox will allow
you to use
pre-recorded spoken prompts to assist you in navigating an MP3
player's
menus, settings, and with the write tools even all your file and
directory
names. If you want to use files from the iTunes Music Store with
your iPod
though, you'll need to revert to the original firmware, which you
can do by
holding down a couple of keys at startup.