One thing that helps is to go into Windowsmedia and go to the file types in
the options.  There's a "select all" button, but not one for "select none".
So hit the "select all"  and return to the file types list and hit the space
bar on all those you don't want.  That will deselect them.  So I de-selected
all of them.  That will allow Winamp to play everything if you told it to in
the installation.  And version 5.32 will play Windowsmedia files.  There's a
way to get it to play real media files, too.  But I don't quite get it yet.
I have instructions somewhere.
Lois Goodine.