From: "Joy Tilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:50 PM
Subject: review of Muvo V-100 mp3 player/recorder

First I'll give the pluses.  What I consider a plus for this item is the
direct plug and play access without any stinkin' proprietory software to
muck around with.  That, to me, is more a must than a plus!
Second plus, although, not necessarily anything real big or important, is
the fact one can take this equipment apart and just use the guts of the
unit, when separated from the battery pack, as a thumb drive.
Third plus and must, is the multiple level directories one can work with,
the way mp3 players should work in mine humpble opinion, not this single
directory junk where the device does it's own numbering system according to
when each file was loaded into the player.  That's a big fat minus where the
Ipod shuffle, or any other device like that is concerned.  Fourth plus is,
of course, the space at 2 gigabytes.

Now for the minuses, which are unfortunately way more than the plusses.
Firstly, there are only four buttons or switches on this device, volume up
and down, scroll switch, and play/power button.
So, right there, you know that the scroll switch is going to be the main
controlling factor on this unit as far as moving from track to track, or
going through menues which I'll get to in a bit.
Secondly, no audio feedback, of course, unless you stay in "Music" or maybe
"recorded tracks," and you turn the device on by holding the play/power
button for roughly five seconds, then wait for the unit to boot up, which
can take upwards of 12 seconds, depending upon how much data is stored.
As for the menues -- which are accessed by pressing the scroll switch --
they do not default.  So, even if you memorize the menues, you have to
remember where the heck you left off at.  So, if you left off at Microphone,
there's a possibility that once you manage to turn the device on, you might
be continuing the recording.  Oh, to select what you want in a menu, you
press the scroll switch again.
And, of course, there is no audible monitor through the headset when you
record.  So, of course, you have to ask a sighted person if the recorder is
going.
Oh, speaking of having a sighted person help, what is with these stupid
symbols rather than actual written text stating where one is in the menues?
Furthermore, what is with this bad habit of these devices that stay in a
menu for no more than maybe 5 seconds at the most?  For someone trying to
help a blind person out, or for someone with difficulty with focus issues,
that just does not work, people!  Hellllllllo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for recording, the quality is poor.  Now, I'm taking into consideration
the fact that the recordings are being done in low bit-rate wave files.
However, the recording volume -- or maybe it's the volume setting used for
"recorded tracks" -- is very much lacking.

So, here's my final grading of the MuVo V-100 by Creative.
I give it an A for concept, an A for space,,  However, for ease of use and
accessibility, I give it a D minus.
Why a D minus rather than an F for accessibility?  Well, as long as you stay
in "music" and as long as you don't accidentally press the scroll switch
before moving it left or right to go from track to track, or for scanning
tracks, then you're okay.  Secondly -- for folks who are left handed, one
can go into the settings menu and rotate the display.  I guess that can
actually be a help if a blind person is getting help from a sighted person
and it makes it easier for the sighted person to se the screen.
Creative seemed to have had a neat idea when they made the first MuVo with
no display.  However, I got the impression that those particular models were
lacking in space.