I don't know if Sound Forge can do this, but gold Wave has a channel Match
feature for exactly this type of purpose. What it effectively does is
maximize the two stereo channels so that the peaks in both are at the
maximum volume without clipping. this effectively evens out the stereo
channels in a situation such as yours.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews