I am successfully running Audacity on a USB flash drive here.
It's a portable version of Audacity 1.26 and I found it on the
site:

http://portableapps.com/

Installation was a breeze. I was looking for a very simple
editor and I think I found it. I subscribed to the Audacity 4
Blind list at freelists to learn and ask questions about
Audacity.

I am also successfully using VLC portable on the USB flash
drive. VLC is excellent media player. Works right off a USB
flash drive.

Trying these apps on a thumb drive allows me to test and see if
the apps are accessible or not. furthermore I don't want too
much software on my computers. Let them run on the USB flash
drive.

Petro