Get something that verifies that it's made a good disc.  I'd recommend Nero.
Reliable beats free.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brandon Hicks
  To: pc-audio@pc-audio.org
  Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:13 PM
  Subject: Please help: DVD software

  Hi all,
  Not really related to audio but I need a piece of software to burn data
  DVDs that's free. The hard drive is making some funny noises and I want
  to make sure all my stuff is backed up. Up to now I've just had the
  stuff it's hard to replace or takes a lot of time, but now I want
  everything if I have to get a new computer or at least a new hard drive.
  I'd like recommendations of software that is freely available to burn
  data DVDs. I've tried a couple and they rely on graphical tool bars that
  aren't labeled.
  Thanks,
  Brandon