Hi Keith Larry and(apologies) someone else whose email I've just deleted by
accident who said they could use the multitrack view without scripts  with
the Jaws and Window eyes cursors,
Yes, one can navigate the multitrack screen with only the jaws cursor (I've
not used Window eyes), but the scripts make things much easier and more
fluent. Information is given which is pertinent as to where you are in the
screen, and the screen scrolls down with you if ;you use tracks outwith the
screen. The edit view is also enhanced by scripts but is fairly accessible
the way it is. As far as I can guage the scripts stopped working for me in
an early version 7 of jaws, so you would need to load this if you wished to
use the multitrack screen
The scripts can be found in:
http://www.kulgan.net/mick/programming/
What I've said above applies to earlier versions of Audition too (ver 1).
Scripts are also available for the predecessor of Audition, Cool Edit Pro 1,
2 and 2.1. I always found they worked well for me. While these programs have
a degree of accessibility the scripts make things easier.
Now Larry, as you say version 2 is out for Audition but it is not accessible
with scripts. The interface was changed significantly and the writer of the
scripts (see webpage above) is not willing to write new ones. When I
contacted him a while ago he said he would be willing to support someone who
knew scripting and wanted to try their hand at changing them. I did not
purchase the upgrade to version 2 when I heard this - it may be that the
edit view is still accessible without scripts but the multitrack view
certainly isn't easy to negotiate (according to others)
In my mind I've settled on remaining with Audition 1.5 as it really does all
anyone who is working with sound wants to use. It's comprehensive and for a
while anyway one could stay with it quite happily. Of course when Vista
becomes the norm upgrading will be difficult. I have a number of four track
session files for the multitrack view and find working with Audition quite
satisfactory. I believe m-track is another cheaper program which is fairly
accessible for multitracking but I'm not so sure if it is as well stocked
with features as Audition.
Regarding noise reduction and audio restoration, most things can be done
well with either Audition or DC6, depending on the file. I've never used
Sound Forge's Noise Reduction package although it sounds good

Recently I've been investigating the Terratech vinyl and tape pre-amplifier
which helps give a good clean signal before it goes into the computer, then
their software cleans the resultant file. I've heard good things about their
software but don't know yet whether it's accessible.
Regards.
Gordon