Reed, you wrote:

> Can someone explain phantom power and Plug-In power for me?
> What are they, how do they differ, when would you want to use one or the
> other etc.?

Normally, you have no choice, there's either PlugIn or phantom power.
Phantom is for pro users, it's provided via XLR input sockets. The 48
Volts provided are fine for mics which are quite power hungry. PlugIn
power on the other hand is for consumer mikes, it comes via a
mini-jack. The 3 to 10 volts provided are not enough for a lot of
microphones. Therefore, PlugIn powered mikes are normally not very big.
Most consumer recorders, MD portables, dictation machines and so on
offer PlugIN power. A lot of professional recorders and mixers, the
Marantz PMD660, 670 and 671 for instance, offer phantom power.

If you connect a battery driven consumber mike to a recorder providing
PlugIn power, there's no problem. But if you do that with a battery
driven pro mike and a recorder or mixer using phantom power, the
microphone might be dammaged or become totally unusable.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>