I usually pick up my harddrives from Fry's when they're on sale. I think
the last drives I picked up (other than SATA drives) were 80GB, which
ended up being free after rebate. You can check out outpost.com to see
what's available right now. It may seem counter intuitive, but the
smaller capacity drives are going to be more expensive. They just aren't
made anymore, and when they were made, they cost more to manufacture
than drives do today. If you have multiple systems lying around, you
could buy a 80GB or 120GB drive and then swap that for a 20GB or 40GB
drive you have in one of your older systems. I've done that when I've
just wanted to run DOS or Linux and didn't want to waste a larger drive
on that.

Loren Buntemeyer wrote:
> Where can I get the best deal for a new harddrive and maybe memory for my 98
> machine?  I still play around with dos a little so thought I would purchase a
> small drive.  It is a Dell machine from 2000.
>
> Loren

Christopher